Comfort Soft Plus® (CSP)
The Joint Commission (TJC) Advisory
- TJC is an independent, not-for-profit organization that accredits and certifies health care organizations and programs in the United States.
- New Joint Commission advisory on pressure injuries related to medical devices (2018).
- This includes oxygen delivery tubing
- More than 30% of all hospital-acquired pressure injuries are caused by medical devices
- Significant cause of patient morbidity
- The advisory includes tips on assessment, education, positioning, device care, documentation, communication, and teamwork
VA Study –
- Incident of Hospital Acquired Pressure Ulcer (HAPU) decreased to zero after switching to CSP
- Hospital was able to maintain record of zero HAPU caused by nasal cannulas for 23 months by using the CSP cannula
- Cost savings of almost $50,000 annual by eliminating the use of foam padding
- CSP cannula now a standard of care in the VA hospitals
Duke Poster –
The study pertains to the use of Anapod during post-cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB) to ensure proper warming of the patient. Temperature drop following separation from CPB is common and can cause coagulation problems and metabolic acidosis. In the study, Bean describes a statistically significant difference in nasopharyngeal temperatures at 30 min, 60 min post-CPB and at the end of the surgery. Bean speculates that with effective temperature management post-CPB, a reduced CPB times and duration of surgery may be seen.
Korea Study –
Dr. Seo used the Anapod for use with elderly patients. The purpose of the study was to compare HME to heated humidified system (Anapod). In elderly patients and pediatrics, the concern for decreased temperatures can lead to coagulation, slow waking times (requiring longer post-op), vasoconstriction, and other complications of heat loss. Even with forced-warming systems and/or heated mattresses, hypothermia can occur. The use of HME is not as effective, especially in an OR with a cold room and with a patient who may be slightly hypothermic. The use of the heated humidification system helped maintain patient temperature during entire surgery.