Bio-Balanced™ Hypertonic Saline
Indication. For the induction of sputum
where sputum production is indicated.
Bio-Balanced. PulmoSal 7% (pH+) is
formulated to match the natural physiologic
pH of the airway surface liquid (ASL) @ ±7.4.
Notice (June 1, 2016: McKesson has changed its ordering part number for
PulmoSal 7% (pH+) from 2043438 to 3543535. Please update your records.
- Only FDA-cleared sodium chloride solution for inhalation that is buffered with sodium bicarbonate to a pH of 7.4.
- Other sodium chloride inhalation solutions are formulated with a pH of 4.5 to 7.0, clearly acidic.
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa has an affinity to colonize in an acidic pH of ~6.0.
- PulmoSal 7% (pH+), with a pH of 7.4,”does not add acidity to the ASL.
These data show approximately 5 log decrease in bacterial density in the pH 7.4 solution compared with approximately 2 log decrease in the pH 5.86 and pH 6.6 solutions at 24 hours. The density difference between solutions is even more dramatic at 8 and 12 hours. These results suggest that a clinical trial designed to determine if increasing the pH of 7% HS reduces microbial density may be warranted. Given the dosing frequency of 7% HS in CF, these findings suggest that the use of physiologic pH+ solution could have a marked impact on bacterial density in CF sputum.1
The Complete Pulmonary Hygiene Triad
Now from Westmed
PulmoSal 7% (pH+) is a component of the Complete Pulmonary Hygiene Triad from Westmed: 3 innovative technologies and solutions to promote and maintain airway clearance in a variety of pulmonary and neuromuscular conditions affecting secretion management.
Notice (June 1, 2016: McKesson Pharmaceuticals has changed its ordering part number
for PulmoSal 7% (pH+) from 2043438 to 3543535. Please update your records.
1. Burns JL, Griffith A. pH-dependent differential Pseudomonas aeruginosa killing in CF sputum incubated with hypertonic saline solutions. Peds Pulmonol 2014. 49;S38: 351. 2014 NACFC Abstract 2014 NACFC Poster
Additional Reading on Airway Surface Liquid pH
Ng AW, et al. Innate host defense of the lung: Effects of lung-lining fluid pH. Lung 2004. 182:5 (Nov): 297-317.
Pezzulo AA, et al. Reduced airway surface pH impairs bacterial killing in the porcine cystic fibrosis lung. Nature 2012. 487; July: 109-113.
MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet)
Sodium Chloride Solution for Inhalation with pH of 7.4 for concentration 7%, NDC 50190-740-60. PDF, 279 Kb
Frequently Asked Questions